Wednesday, May 26, 2010

If at first you don't succeed, tri, tri again!

I'm super excited to say that I'm training for my first triathlon!! I'm not excited to say that I am a terrible swimmer and have a long road, er, pool ahead of me!! For as long as I can remember I've been able to make it from one side of a pool to the other, but that is a far stretch from *actually* swimming. The boys have been taking swimming lessons for a few months now so I signed myself up for a few lessons with their teacher. I'll admit, I felt like a huge a** showing up for a swimming lesson!! Luckily she didn't have me do a 'starfish' or any jumps from the side of the pool. On the contrary, she said that I'm a lot better than I think I am. I will be staying at my mother-in-law's house this summer so I will have access to a pool (and child care) on a daily basis and I can't wait to try out my new skills.

So my new interest in swimming got me thinking about how many adults don't know how to swim. And I'm shocked!! There are sooooo many!! Even a young aerobics teacher at my gym said she won't leave the shallow end because she has zero swimming ability. What? She's so fit! And she has kids! And can't swim?? I assumed that every adult could swim (at least a little). So fess up, can you swim?

And just in case you're wondering where my interest in triathlon has stemmed from, I am a little bored with running long distance. Now that I know I can run a half marathon (with as little as 4 days notice!) the next challenge would naturally be a whole marathon. But even if I was able to-which I'm not, not even close-I think it would be sooooo boring. The tri will mix it up and hopefully get me in better shape. Now who's with me??

EDIT: Blake couldn't post a comment but he wanted to say that he's in (like he had a choice)!

1 comment:

  1. Pretty sure I can swim.....haven't really tested it out in a LONG while. I admit I did have to laugh a little when you posted about taking a swimming lesson....I totally pictured you in the pool with the 5 year olds blowing bubbles in the water!! :) You guys are totally crazy......

    ReplyDelete